GETTING STARTED WITH USD FOR COLLABORATIVE 3D WORKFLOWS
The Universal Scene Description Framework (OpenUSD), developed by Pixar, was created to develop synergy between technical and creative pioneers, moving from a linear workflow to a collaborative one.
In this self-paced course, participants will embark on a journey to master scene generation using human-readable ASCII Universal Scene Description (.USDA) files. Upon completion, participants will be prepared to create their own scenes within USD, creating a solid foundation for implementation in Omniverse, Maya, Unity, and Unreal Engine.
This training is conducted in two separate sections:
- An introduction to the basic principles of OpenUSD, with no prior programming requirements.
- Advanced USD: An introduction to using Python to create USD files, offering an advanced dimension.
The goal of the training is to gain a fundamental understanding of the structure of OpenUSD scenes and gain hands-on experience with OpenUSD Composition Arcs by:
- Overriding an asset’s base properties with Sublayers
- Combining multiple assets with OpenUSD References
- Creating different states of an asset with OpenUSD Variants
For introductory content: Basic knowledge of computer graphics concepts such as vertices, grids, and RGB values.
Recommended materials to fulfil prerequisites: Scratchapixel’s Gentle Introduction to Computer Graphics (Programming).
For advanced content: Knowledge of basic Python programming concepts including functions, loops, dictionaries, and arrays.
Recommended materials to fulfil the prerequisite: the official Python 3 textbook.
Digital skills for ICT professionals
Format of the training
Duration of the training
Type of training
Language of the training
Country providing the training