THE SECRETS OF A STRONG CYBERSECURITY TEAM
With the rapid digitalisation of business, the importance of cyber security has increased dramatically for companies of all sizes and across all sectors. Its complexity and specific requirements make it imperative for organizations to build security teams in-house or obtain it as a service from managed security service providers (MSSPs).
A good cyber security team is not just a group of people but a complex mix of technology, processes and a range of people with different expertise. The human factor is paramount in the return on investment of cyber security, because cyber security is about people, not technology. Even the best technology will not work efficiently if it is not set up properly by an expert who knows what they are doing.
PLAN FIRST, HIRE LATER
You might think that a starting point for building a cyber security team would be to hire a technical system administrator to oversee security systems or a cyber security generalist who understands cyber security compliance and governance. However, the better approach is to define a cyber security strategy based on your corporate needs and objectives before you hire the team that can execute this strategy.
The planning can be done internally or with the support of external consultants but always keep in mind: The strategy should always come before the first hire takes place.
Do a self-assessment to determine your business goals related to technology, digital assets, known technology, and so forth.
Start with your immediate needs, but keep in mind what your organization might plan in the future to make sure that your cyber security strategy doesn’t just fit the present but also the future.
Define a robust cyber security strategy with the required roles, responsibilities, expertise and service levels you expect from your cyber security team. This includes defining:
- missing architectural requirements,
- operational requirements,
- non-operational skillsets,
- industry compliance requirements.
Ensuring all of the above enables you to set up a better organizational structure and technical infrastructure that can scale as your business grows. It also creates a more cost-efficient and functional team that can evolve over time.
UNDERSTAND YOUR BUSINESS NEEDS
With demand for cyber security experts at an all-time high, your first steps are crucial:
- Think strategically about your short- and long-term goals, vulnerabilities and weaknesses.
- Assess honestly how well your existing team operates.
- Evaluate your economic context
DEFINE YOUR SECURITY SERVICES
- Identify the market demand for your services – explore current and future market trends, regulations (e.g., the introduction of GDPR in 2018 increased the demand for security compliance checks)
- Think of what will distinguish you from your competitors on the market – it could be niche services, your industry competence, the way you offer your services, etc.
- Focus on core cyber security skills
- Establish a clear vision of how your services will look like
- Describe your delivery outcomes and the added value to the customer
- Don’t forget to keep your eyes on the balance between security, usability and functionality
Read the strategies for building a great security team and more useful information – here
Digital skills for all
Digital skills for the workforce
Digital skills for ICT professionals